Sunday 7 September 2014

Flat Field Gliding at a Secret Location in Sussex

Hi All,
This afternoon , as there was little or no wind, we decided to go flat-field flying at a location close to Horsham belonging to one of our close friends.
Paul, Tim, Clint and I went to the newly-cut field near Shipley and set up our winch.
We started by flying our DLGs but the Libelle couldn't (or wouldn't) find any lift, but Paul's carbon-fibre DLG found some lift but very little. Paul's electric-powered glider , the Palio, (bought on his way back from the IOW trip earlier this year) was brought out and that went away and found a massive amount of lift and was up with the gods for at least 15 minutes.
I brought out my electric profile Sukhoi (I know, it's not a glider) and that flew very well - what a surprise !
Then I launched my Algebra from the winch (twice) and had trouble finding any lift to get it higher, consequently it hit a tree and landed heavily !
Clint flew my Sukhoi until the battery ran out and Paul flew his Palio, both with great success.
Overall, a great afternoon of fun but there's some minor repairs to do on the Algebra.

Rob