Saturday 4 October 2014

Devils Dyke with a clearing weather front.

Earlier on in the day I was sitting at home in the pouring rain in front of the computer and looking at XC Weather it showed the weather front would have cleared by 4.00pm. I met Rob and Adam up in the Devils Dyke car park at 3.30pm to be greeted with rain and low cloud giving zero visibility. As I was driving up to the Dyke you could see the back edge of the weather front with blue sky behind it. Within ten minutes the cloud was breaking and looking a whole lot better with a decent NW wind blowing.
 

 
Cloud base continued to be low for a while with cloud drifting up the slope making visibility a bit tricky at first but with good lift. I flew my M60 ballasted up to the gills, Rob flew his Ninja and Adam was flying his Apache (very well). The weather continued to improve and it ended up to be an afternoon of spectacular views and some decent flying.
 
I'm not usually a big fan of Devils Dyke but there was no sign of paragliders or hand gliders and a distinct lack or people and dogs which meant we could fly more over on the main bowl. I don't suppose that will happen like that ever again.
I think the moral of the story is don't be put off - take a risk, go and see what conditions are like and you might be treated to some unexpected flying where others have not bothered. Here endith this weeks sermon!

No comments:

Post a Comment