Tuesday 27 January 2015

Itford Hill this afternoon

Hi All,
This afternoon Terry Burnal and I went to Itford Hill to get some mid-week flying.
When we arrived we met someone just coming off the hill with a 3 mtr mouldie who said that there was very little lift. Terry and I had our foamies, so we decided to go up and try our luck.
I took my Vagabond and Terry had his two Wildthings.
The Vagabond is supposed to fly in virtually no wind, but I didn't have much luck with it today.
It seemed reluctant to fly straight and level, preferring instead to porpoise all the time.
I tried adding weight to the tail - no good, I tried putting some reflex on the flaps - a little better. I removed all the weight from the tail - a little better still, but all-in-all I was very disappointed with it.
I have flown it before perfectly well, but today was a let down.
Terry's Wildthing 60 was a delight to fly and even the 48 flew pretty well in the very light conditions.
We were both amazed that the Wildthings did so well, but the Vagabond did so badly - who knows ?
I should have taken another model but didn't have room in my wife's car.
However, it was great to see Terry after his absence for a hand operation and we both got a lot of lovely fresh air. I was rejuvenated at the end of it.
Thanks for the idea Terry, see you again soon ?
Rob
P.S. Sorry no pictures or video

No comments:

Post a Comment