Saturday 7 March 2015

Steve's Sloping Safari

We had such a good day that I would be here until midnight tapping away but here's a brief flying report from day 1 of Steve's Slope Soaring Sussex Safari.
The grand master plan fell apart by 7.00am with the wind more SSW than SW that was originally forecast. Rob, Steve, Jack and I met at 10.00 down at Newhaven Fort. Once up on top of the cliffs the wind was blowing well - about 25mph and still there was some nutter on a paraglider trying to kill himself on the side of the cliffs. We were soon joined by David and we all had a good fly in smooth lift. After an hour or so we packed up and made the decision to go and try Mount Caburn.
It was a trek up to the top of Caburn via a long uphill path to the top. On arrival we were greeted by some other flyers all ready enjoying the fantastic views and not bad lift. We werethen joined by Graham T and his Ninja and Fusion.
This was the first time for most of us to fly up at Caburn and I personally loved it up there. We all had a loads of flying with David and Graham getting to grips with their landings and both doing a very good job of it too. I flew my big mouldy as did Steve and Jack gave us a good demonstration on how to do proper aerobatics with his MiniVec. Rob was beaming from ear to ear with the superb flying and the amazing views. All in all a champion place to fly, just a pity about the long walk to the top and the long walk back down to the cars. From there we made the short journey over to Mill Hill.

I rushed off to fly my Phantom jet and just as quickly broke the wingtip off as it cartwheeled into the hill - Opps!! Then a group of us took our Ninja's down the hill to the 'Combat Zone'. It didn't take me long to completely loose my model and had no Idea where it had ended up. 'Its right down there, Mate!' Somehow it ended up at the very bottom of the hill with a stripped servo. Its a long way down there you know. We carried on for a bit longer then fatigue set in and one by one we set off home.
The weather and the great company made for a superb experience that I really enjoyed. Walked miles, broke two planes, got a sunburnt nose but also had a thoroughly good time, thanks guys.
Tomorrow: Rob, Steve and I (possibly Ian D) will be out flying of day 2 of our sloping Safari but were the hell we are flying, I don't have a clue yet. One forecast says one wind strength and direction and another shows the opposite. I am meeting Steve at 9.30am in Crawley. Maybe by then I might have clearer Idea of where to fly?
I have loads of very good video both on-board and the old helmet cam but thiw will have to wait a few days for me to upload.

No comments:

Post a Comment