Monday 18 May 2015

A steep learning curve (and an even steeper final descent)

Picking my nearly-new Spectre out of a neighbouring cow field was not how I envisaged my day’s flying at Itford coming to an end. But that’s how it ended. Abrupt, undignified and only a few minutes after it started.   

As I sat atop the grassy hilltop afterwards, admiring the sunshine, views and flying skills of many vastly more experienced modellers than myself, I had a chance to reflect on some tough but valuable lessons. The first I’m sure of many.

The Spectre launched easily enough and quickly gained height. After flying into wind for a few minutes, I made a few successful passes along the ridgeline and even a few s-turns. But then, on a southerly beat, I made (at least) three crucial mistakes in quick succession.

Mistake 1: I quickly realised that I’d left it a bit late to turn, and my Spectre was rapidly heading off in the direction of Newhaven harbour.

Mistake 2: Rather than turning into the (at this point westerly) wind and away from the slope, I turned towards the slope and instantly gained some unwanted speed as the Spectre caught the tailwind.  

Mistake 3: In a flustered attempt to pull round hard, I clumsily pushed the controller stick hard left, rather than continuing to nudge to the left and pull back with my thumb. My Spectre was now flying inverted towards the hill.

Grasping the inevitability of the situation, I managed to flip the Spectre back over and guide it over a barbed wire fence away from the footpath. It came down heavily, but the right way up, in the adjacent field – much to the curiosity of its bovine inhabitants.

Other than a slightly dented ego and a broken control horn, there was no harm caused to man, machine (or beast) - a good outcome under the circumstances. With a new control horn on order and my spirits undented, I look forward to my next flight and to putting these lessons into practice.

2 comments:

  1. Your not the first person to venture into that field, and you certainly won't be the last :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reassurance Jack! Rather there than on the far less forgiving terrain on the Isle of White. Looking forward to some big cliff air in a couple of weeks time!

    ReplyDelete