Monday 25 May 2015

One of the best afternoons flying ever !!!

I'd arranged to meet Steve on the Sunday morning but a rubbish weather forecast meant a change of plan. Bright skies and not a lot of wind temped me up to The Bwlch with a few light weight models (Libelle and the Zulu) plus my new Nan Omega electric mouldy.
I parked up at The Bwlch and was greeted by more wind than forecast. I made my way up the slope to Mickeys (SW) where I plonked myself down on a huge rock and flew on the slopes steep edge. Firstly flying my Zulu......View all the vids in HD and full screen for best results
Then trying out the Omega. What a cracker on the slope. I think this one will gets plenty of flying. Good off the flat but equally as good on those not so windy days on the slope.
Then I met Clayton who had driven up to the top. He gave me a lift round to Mickeys SW proper and on the way he rescued a massive sheep that had got its self stuck in a cattle grate (must be in the Australian blood) we moved to the main slope. Clayton had with him a brand new Willow 2 freshly built and needing its maiden flight. You know I can be a big head and sometimes claim to be reasonably good at this sloping game but this guy is in a totally different league to me. The flying was just awesome and his skill levels made me look like I should be on a buddy lead!
Here is what he can do with a mega F3F racing machine in just marginal lift...........
After its maiden flight the Willow 2 needed a little tweeking and off she went again. Another positively sickening display of skill and confidence left me wanting to get my very own Willow 2 out and give it a thrashing (well at least a fast fly past or two). Maybe I will be tempted to go over to the dark side and try F3F racing?
This place never ceases to amaze me and offers both superb flying and amazing views of the beautiful Welsh country side. I will be making a return trip in the next few months (hopefully with a new Willow 2) and would like to invite you to came along with me.
 
This place is the dogs wotsits when it comes to slope soaring and worth every one of the 200+ miles drive to get there. Slopes for virtually all wind directions and views to die for (so don't stand too close to the edge, its a bloody long way down!!).

Who's up for a 2015 club expedition to South Wales maybe in July / August? 

Take a look at Clayton's website. Loads of Interesting things on there - Skip Soaring

1 comment:

  1. Now you see why we love it so much here, and right on my doorstep. I have to say we do get a bit complacent about the place and it isn't until we fly somewhere less good that we realise what we have.
    We'd love to have you lot over here again soon.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete