Sunday 17 April 2016

My first blog!

This is my first blog and I am still learning so there will be no technical terms and I won't pretend I know what I am talking about!

When Rob turned up at my house this morning I half expected him to call the morning off as there was hardly a breath of wind, but we were up and models all ready, so nothing to loose as it was a beautiful morning sun shining, so the drive down and views would be worth it.   I was looking forward to trying out my Minimoa which was a fairly cheap Art Tech model I bought off Ebay a few weeks back.  It had a small small motor (thank god it did as it saved me a few times!).  Rob helped me get it all ready to fly a few weeks back.

We arrived at the car park and met up with Paul. He seemed more confident of some flying than us - or me anyway!

We arrived at the site and I got the Minimoa up and running (must remember to pack a screwdriver next time!). I launched it with the motor to get it out and it went straight up and I started to panic a bit, but fortunately Paul was with me and took over.  It amazes me how all you guys can just take over any model and recover it!  I took the controls over from Paul and then got the hang of it. I'm still quite nervous flying but there is always enough reassurance about and Ian was next to me ready to help if I needed it.  Rob's guidance is always invaluable and I wouldn't be making the progress I am without his help.

I watched some great flying from Paul with a small yellow glider (Omega I think!).  I was also really impressed with Ian A's flying of his huge glider (sorry don't know what that was called) but he flew it gracefully and with very impressive landings - something I can only aspire too!

Rob landed my Minimoa the first time which was virtually textbook using the wheel.  I then landed it a couple of times safely so I was pleased with that and decided to end the session on high with no breakages.  I was pleased with the Minimoa but I think it needs a bit more wind to get the best out of it as it was a bit slow to respond sometimes.

As Paul has said in his blog the weather was challenging at times, but I really felt I learnt a lot today as it wasn't the easiest flying.   I enjoyed finding the thermals and learning how to use them even if there was a contest for them, including a Buzzard that decided to violate Pauls airspace!

Graham had his little Hobby King flyingwing which always impresses me on how it can fly in a variety of conditions.  He went all the way back to get his big mouldy but unfortunately we decided the weather was getting the better of us and so he was unable to fly it.

Rob flew his Traceur and Labelle (think that is what it was called).  Both flew well when there was a bit of wind. 

I was completely new to model flying and have been part of the club for about 6 months now, with some on and off flying, but feel I am gradually making progress.  I am enjoying it even if I still feel a little nervous with it sometimes - especially when there is not much wind!   The experience and help the guys in club give is always appreciated and they have saved me a few times - and my models!

A few shots from the morning.  I had some great footage of Ian's big glider but the file is too big to post!
 






2 comments:

  1. What a great 1st post Andrew. Well done !!! We will look forward to your next one......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, brilliant post and very easy to read... I enjoyed it, thanks

    ReplyDelete