Sunday 1 May 2016

A lovely walk, and a little flying!

Well I decided not to bother with the Cularis this morning and set off at 0650 for Itford.

Got there at around 0730 and up to the top for about 0800.

Not a breath of wind - even the Algebra wouldn't fly in this! However, after some thought, I remembered a little passage fro 'Slope Soaring' by Dave Hughes, something about if you have a 'mighty heave' you can still do a quick circuit.

I assembled the Algebra and thought on.


I decided to give it a try - gave the Algiebra an almighty chuck and gained about 30ft altitude. A quick circuit and I landed not 10 metres from myself. "That was fun", I thought, and had another go.

I spent a happy half-hour doing these mini-flights, if you've never done it, I recommend it - very good practice for accurate landings and conserving height.

After a while the wind popped up at about 3 kts from the WSW, amazingly, a little lift was to be had here and there and I managed to keep Algy up for a couple of minutes on occasion.

The wind gradually went further South and so no slope lift was available, but small weak thermals popped off occasionally and I managed to stretch a couple of flights. I got up to nearly 50ft on one occasion!

The thermal were very weak and small, keeping the Algy up was not really possible - hampered in part by the weakness of the thermals, but mainly I think by my lack of skill in exploiting the lift.

All in all a pleasant morning. I learnt a bit more about the Algy and had a beatiful walk into the bargain!

 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Roger, Great write up and great story. Thanks for entertaining me ! I'm glad it went reasonably well for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Algy looks very smart Roger in its blue and white livery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments gentlemen! I must admit to a certain pleasure in the Algy's looks. Very pleased with the way it came out. Flies very nicely too, and I am gradually learning to fly rudder-only. Learning to wait for the secondary effect of roll to happen. Tendency to over-control at first, because I'm so used to instant response from ailerons. Also learning I need to keep a little rudder on in the turns, otherwise she drops her tail into the turn and slips all the way round, losing lots of height into the bargain. There's a fine balance between enough rudder to keep her balanced in the turn and too much, which will begin to tighten the turn into a spiral dive if not corrected soon enough, of course there is some up-elevator needed too and finding the balance between the correct amount of rudder and elevator is fascinating stuff! When I first flew her, rudder response was minimal as I had the c of g to far forward. I took some weight out of the nose and it made a huge difference, response being much better now. Might actually add some back in. She's a gratifying 2oz underweight at the mo, so that gives some leeway for future repairs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for deleted comment, too many typos and I couldn't figure out how to edit it! Writing with my kindle and it makes some fairly sweeping assumptions at times...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps a final word of caution - if you're not used to launching, launching, launching, launching and launching your model you'll end up with 'javelin thrower's arm' the next morning. I must've chucked it a hundred times yesterday. Am now faced with learning to handle a G&T with my left hand this evening...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Roger 'A hundred times ?' I've told you a million times not to exaggerate !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not flown an Algebra myself, but my general experience with big rudder/elevator models is that they have very forgiving flight characteristics. Rudder response can be slow depending on speed but the model will soon flatten out when the rudder is neutralised. I wonder if your Algy is inclined to tip-stall i.e. suffer a sudden loss of lift under the inner wing during a slow turn? At this stage I guess it's too late to build in a few millimetres of washout under each wing tip, so I'd just check the wings are evenly balanced, add a little nose weight and keep your speed up in the turns.

    ReplyDelete