Monday 11 July 2016

Billy No Mates!

Saturday 9 July 2016

For the first time in ages the weather and free time to fly worked together and I was eager to give my rebuilt Wildthing a good fly after the quick maiden the Sunday before.  Unfortunately nobody was able to join me so expecting to be “Billy no mates” I decided to go to Long Man as it’s a bit closer to me than Mill Hill.  I made it to the car park for about 8.45 only for there to be sea mist covering the hill but by the time I had put my boots on and started walking up the hill luckily the mist was disappearing off east as the wind was picking up!  I was greeted on the slope by a nice a nice couple of guys, Dave and Pete, from 1066 model flying club. 



My Wildthing flew great and seemed much more maneuverable than I remembered pre rebuild.  It was also christened when it had a head on crash with Dave’s Wildthing but both only sustained minor damage and we continued to fly.  It is strange how difficult it is to crash when flying combat but really easy when you are trying to look after the shiny new paintwork!



Later on another bunch of lads arrived with mainly foamies and before long there was half a dozen foamies darting around the sky.  Someone even brought a UMX ASK-21 which to be honest I didn’t think would have a hope of flying in the 20+ mph wind.  There was also a modified £7 chuck glider complete with elevator and ailerons and that didn’t do too bad either!

Not much video I’m afraid as I’m not yet very proficient with the GoPro.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Scott. Great report. Sorry I couldn't make it up there with you. Waiting for the next good day so we can get over to the I of W for that day trip we promised ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott, Great report and entertaining. There seemed to be a profusion of Wildthings up there that day ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good report Scott! Sounds like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers guys, look forward to seeing you all soon. Be great to get over to the I of W Paul!

    ReplyDelete