Thursday 18 August 2016

The latest project...

Here's a photo of my latest project. 

It's a 10ft span Minimoa built, I believe, from the RM plan.

 

Obtained from a friend about 5 years ago, after saying "if you ever get tired of it hanging from your ceiling....". He gave it to me on the proviso that I got it flying. 

It'd been covered with what looked like tent canvas, then painted with household emulsion using a large brush!

I've re-covered the wings and empennage, rubbed down the fuse, installed spoilers and radio gear and given it a nice new colour scheme. Just a little fettling to go and it'll be ready to fly! 

It's taken me 5 years, but it won't be long now - when I maiden it, I'll need a willing volunteer to film it so I can finally let my friend know it's done!

8 comments:

  1. I have the plans somewhere. I built one 20 years ago. It was designed as rudder elevator only but I added ailerons and brakes.flew very slowly as wing section was very udercambered. Did take it up a bungie a few times with big wing bend.
    Cover the wings in solartext adds a lot of strength. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roger. Looks superb mate! If I'm around and I have a camera strapped to my head (as you do) then I will be happy to film the whole occasion.
    Regards
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roger, I love the colours . it looks great.
    I hope it flies well, we've been flying a foam one with Andrew and it was a dog ! It's now in the bin. I'm sure yours will be far superior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The arrangement of stabilizing surfaces at the tail of an aircraft". As a retired airline-pilot-turned-model-flyer patiently explained to my future wife a few years ago, while I flew my glider over Ashdown Forest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With luck it'll fly better than the foamy version! It has ailerons so it might be a bit more manageable. It's quite heavy and I don't expect a scintillating glide especially as, with the aforementioned undercamber, it's essentially flying around with flaps all the time! But I hope on the right day it'll look beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, with this kind of model it's all about cruising gently around the sky, looking cool, serene and scale-like.

    ReplyDelete