Tuesday 20 September 2016

A beautiful quiet evening on Wolstonbury Hill

Having completed my house-packing chores for the day, I noticed the wind was from the NE.

If you remember, after my last field session I said I needed to practice my thermal turns. A wind of 4 - 6 mph from the NE would be perfect, enought lift to get the Algebra airbourne, but not enough breeze to push her backwards over the hill too soon.

I got in some good practice and began to understand the balance between the elevator and rudder, getting some nice turns by the end of the session. I found that I had to watch the angle of bank like a hawk - the more the bank, the more the elevator and the less the rudder.

It was quite a dull evening, but beautifully quiet. Here's a video of the Algebra tooling around - forgive the quality - as I say it was a dull evening and my old iPhone 3 is getting on a bit - plus I was holding the Tx in one hand, flying with that one, and the phone in the other!

However, I thought you might like to see it because it's so quiet, you can hear an airliner coming in over the coast at about 10,000ft! 



EDIT - FLIPPINNG 'ECK THE QUALITY IS RUBBISH! WILL TRY HARDER NEXT TIME...

Once again, sorry for the quality - first attempt!

4 comments:

  1. Looks great Roger, very graceful. I really must get started on my Bird of Time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it a bird ? Is it a plane ? No ..... it's Roger's glider (I think)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, thanks for both comments! I really must take some time to learn how to use the wing-cam I have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I dug out an old hard hat, and have attached the camera to the top... let's see when the next flying day is...

    ReplyDelete