Tuesday 8 November 2016

Keeping warm while up on the slope

A major problem with our sport is how to keep your fingers, feet and face warm and protected from the biting wind chill while trying to enjoy yourself up on the slope.

The big problem for me is keeping my fingers warm. I personally can't fly in gloves. I loose the sensitivity between my thumb and forefinger. So what's the answer??
Above is a fairly cheap transmitter glove. Lightweight and easy access for your hands getting to the transmitter inside. The clear plastic top gives you good visibility through to the transmitter and its screen. I have flown with one of these over the last winter. Plenty of room to sit your fingers on top of the sticks and I must say it kept my fingers nice and toasty. If you fly with a mitt / glove then you will need someone else to launch your model which is no real big problem unless you are a solo flyer.
I purchased mine through Hobby King but make sure you are buying this from the UK warehouse as you don't want a shock paying for transatlantic postage - Click Here to view.........
How about heated fingerless gloves. I haven't flown with these but it seems like an option to me.
These are available from Heat Packs UK. You simply insert a heat pack into the back of the glove and they say it should keep warm for up to 10 hours. Keeps your fingers free to feel the sticks and switches. Click Here to view........
What about your feet? A good set of thermal boots should be worn but for me the standing around sometimes leaves me with cold feet / toes. I found this on eBay and have placed my order for a set of these electric heated socks. Powered by two AA batteries.
Apparently heats up within a minute but will have to wait and see until I get to wear them up on the slope. Click Here to view.........

A must for me is my faithful old balaclava. Keeps the ears and neck warm. Any exposed skin will soon get chilled by the cold wind. Cover up with a good warm balaclava.
Last but not least is a set of ski goggles. The strong wind blowing you in your face will make your eyes water without some sort of protection. These placed over the top of your balaclava will give you complete protection.
Finally How do you keep your body warm and free from chilly winds finding its way into those exposed area's. I swear by my Salopettes which are both windproof and thermal. Didn't cost a fortune but means I can wear a good thermal winter coat over the top and it keeps the wind out and my legs warm.

Its worth investing in some decent warm gear to keep you toasty on the slope. Nothing worse than freezing your bits off just because you haven't dressed to match the weather conditions.

Please let us all know if you have found something that keeps you warm up on the slope.

1 comment:

  1. This is how I rock up to a slope in cold northerlies.
    https://www.dickiesworkwear.com/en/workwear/product/waterproof-padded-coverall

    Just the best.

    ReplyDelete