Saturday 18 February 2017

My first experience with FPV flying

With my micro camera fitted to the Weasel It was an ideal opportunity to give FPV a go up on Colley Hill today. Here is the set up which is fixed using Velcro to the canopy hatch.
Its a tiny camera with a 1s lipo (came off an indoor model) which is located behind the camera and it all sits on a foam block.
Here I am with Graham by my side ready to take over as and when required (which he was).
We first flew the model to check it would fly with the micro camera fixed to the nose. Then I flew the model and others looked through the goggles and then eventually I flew the model FPV on the sticks. It was amazing and I found it a little easier than I had imagined. I need to change the antenna to a mushroom type one as we were getting breaks in the transmission during flight when you went a little way away. It has to be said that the camera TX signal is very weak and hopefully when I get my decent camera's going we will see a marked improvement in quality of signal and video feed.
I am well up for more FPV flying now. Just need to get the buddy box sorted and away we go !!!

4 comments:

  1. I like the way you are looking up,at the model even though you have goggles on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Bob. Cant change a habit of a life time.

      Delete
    2. Paul.Try a clover leaf antenna on the goggles as well apparently the should match on the TX and RX.

      Delete
    3. Hi Mark. I bought some replacements and would you believe it they turned up after I was flying yesterday - typical! Be interesting to see the difference.

      Delete