Wednesday 2 August 2017

Omega ~ Progress Report #4

After numerous distractions and setbacks I've completed the manufacture of the main components and can finally see C. Chapman's classic 1970's design taking shape.
Mr Chapman clearly set out to create the most elegant soarer of its time and if form follows function  I can to look forward to a spritely performance. Little metal-geared servos sit snugly in the wings, other than that I've tried to maintain as many of the original design features as possible including the brass elevator horn in the fin and hinged canopy hatch.
I'm not convinced about the efficacy of mid-fuselage mounted wings when (not if, but when) a hard landing occurs. I know that something will have to give, so I've added strategic ply reinforcement around the wing joiner and am currently glassing over any potential weak spots in the fuselage.
My family and I enjoyed a happy morning of flying and picnicking up at Ashdown Forest on Monday and provided the Omega turns out light it should fly well off those gentle slopes and the lush heather and bracken will mollify any untidy touchdowns I hope.
Happy landings
Russell H

6 comments:

  1. Hi Russell, It looks a very elegant model, I haven't seen one before so I'm looking forward to seeing it flying - have you read my log about the Graupner Weihe rebuild ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's an interesting project well illustrated.
      I should think that tackling tricky build/refurb projects on old designs like these must be good for keeping the brain well stimulated and healthy.

      Delete
  2. Hi Russell. I was wondering what you would be covering the wings with? If an iron on film then you could use a very thin, (70 micron ish) laminate film ironed on over the top of your covering film. I have successfully done this on several foamies, including my Moth and Wildthing. Yes it will add a little bit of extra weight but, it will protect your covering from tears/rips when landing in course vegetation.
    You can see how I did my moth by copying and pasting this link into your browser.

    http://a470soaring.blogspot.co.uk/p/moth-build.html

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve, great build-log for the Moth, the finish looks glossy and tough.
    I still have a stock of Solartex which I bought in the H'King sale a couple of years ago, so I'll use that all over. It sticks well and is very resilient.
    This model will also mark my first foray into 2.4ghz, with my new Hitec Flash 7. The Frsky AFHSS Minima compatible RX you refer to in your Moth article looks appealing, have you had any range issues?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the looks of this sloper, always a fan of vintage style slope planes. How would I go about getting a plan for this model?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can buy a plan from Sarik Hobbies in Malvern UK for £19.00

    ReplyDelete