Sunday 13 August 2017

What a good weekends worth of flying

Saturday

Met up with Rob and Ian for afew hours of soaring up at Itford Hill. I got to the top of the hill and realised I had left the wing spar for the only model I had lugged up the hill back at home - DOH!!!!
Ian had his Jart and his M60 and Rob had his Mini Vec and his Moth.
Both guys very kindly let me fly there gliders and we all enjoyed cruising around and chatting with the many people who were dragging there models up to the top of Itford.
Here is a few Pics from Saturdays flying.
There is some video available that was posted up on my Facebook account.

Sunday

A lovely sunny day with very light wind if any. Met up with Ian around 9.30am at Devils Dyke. Met there by hundreds (well lots anyway) of paragliders but the buggers where all on the ground!!
My first flight into virtually no air was with the X-Pro (the big green thermalling machine) and lasted about 30 seconds with no lift. I rigged the Maxa (4 metre with an electric motor) out into gentle lift and was enjoying myself until I noticed the whole tale section (rudder & elevator) had rotated around 90 degree's. The elevator was now in the position as the rudder but the bottom half of the elevator was hanging down like a big keel. Opps, that's not right! Full landing flap and the model came in under control and I managed a really slow landing and didn't really do any damage - Wow that was lucky .........
Ian was up with his Shadow and I was back on the trusty green machine. From then on the soaring was sometimes soft but intermingled with reasonable thermals. With the X-Pro topping out around 175 metres.
After two hours of thermalling in very nice conditions with Ian and Mill Hill Mike it was time to go.
Still lots and lots of paragliders just sitting on the ground as we played - RESULT!!
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice new potential SSS banner picture Paul and a useful reminder to us all to keep tabs on our wing joiners.
    I enjoyed three hours in a chilly northerly wind last Thursday afternoon, flying off Wolstonbury Hill. Next time I'll pack a thermos flask of tea, another vital accessory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Russell. Banner picture changed.

    ReplyDelete