Tuesday 26 September 2017

Limit Ex Build Part 2

Paul and I have made our models in parallel so far and this is the next update from my own experience over the last 2 days -
Primarily I was trying to find a way to attach an elevator horn as there is no detail in the plan. I had a few emails with Neil Hussey and thanks to him I got the right idea.
I decided to use cut-down servo arms as horns because they're made of nylon and very light, etc... I also made new elevators from harder balsa and had already re-made the tail from ply. The pushrod is made from carbon rod with the wire ends attached with heat shrink and cyano.
I attached the horns to the elevators with epoxy resin after sanding the surface of the elevators to 55 degrees and cutting a small piece off the ends parallel to the fuselage - as per below,

This resulted in a pretty good movement provided the pushrod ends are left straight so that the horns can slide along them for up and down elevator.
I have tested the elevators with the pushrod and servo tacked into place and it all seems to work well, there isn't a lot of movement but it only requires 4mm up / down anyway.
That process took me the best part of a day in between other things and emails and tests of different materials.

I made the wing tips from 1/2" balsa and sanded them to shape and made the static part of the TE from 1/4" balsa and the ailerons from 3/8" TE that I found at home. All to be sanded yet.

I made the aileron torque rods from piano wire and ran them in some aluminium tubing for easy movement.
In order to hinge the torque rods to the servo Tim came up with the idea of pushrod connectors as per the below picture - ideal solution really ---




That's about it for now.

Rob

2 comments:

  1. Well done Rob, that looks like a fiddly job.
    Thanks for sharing the benefits of your extensive research and guidance.
    I still haven't started building, but I'm thinking of modifying the design to suit my existing spare parts and materials...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Russell, that's a bit like what I've done, I have adapted the build to suit what I had in the workshop.

      Delete