Wednesday 13 September 2017

Slope Soaring Sussex Plan Built Gliders

Having seen Russell's kit built models fly on Sunday and given my lack of ability to be able to make kit models I thought it might be a nice idea to see if others are interested in building from plan either one type of model (mass build) or a selection of plan / kit models so we can enjoy each others builds along the way.
There seemed to be a little interest at the time when we spoke about this on Sunday morning except Russell has just or is coming to the end of his home built models.
I have a huge scale Vulcan (6' span and 6' long) which is just siting in a box waiting to be built. It comes with as a short kit (all difficult ribs etc all ready laser cut but some additional balsa will be needed to complete the kit). It comes with all the plastic cowls and clear canopy. I would love to build this stunning PSS glider kit but I think I lack the knowledge to complete it.
Anyway if you would be interested in building a kit from plan but just don't know how to or would like to give it a go, what sort of glider would you build?
Lets have some idea's and see where the idea takes us.............
Here are just a few I have found on eBay for a reasonable price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Limit-EX-RC-Glider-22-Wingspan-SHORT-KIT-/232402291259?var=&hash=item361c418a3b:m:mUBxquV_lL8tFzqITHiiQvQ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soarcerette-2-3-ch-RC-Glider-CNC-Routed-Short-Kit-34-Span-R-E-or-Aileron-option-/332377161834?var=&hash=item4d6339006a:m:m7RJU5sC2bsU8fqSJdtDH7Q

http://www.hobbystores.co.uk/default.asp?WPG=HOB_HomePage1&itemid=A-WW29

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ridge-Runt-RC-Glider-CNC-Cut-Short-Kit-/232323629008?hash=item3617913fd0:g:D4kAAOSwGotWlXR2

What do you think?

UPDATE: Rob , Scott, Russell & I have purchased a Limit EX each for just over £17.00 delivered.
Here is one flying and a build blog. That's 4 for the mass build ..... any more ... ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5SjJiZsis0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdlfv5h5BTE

6 comments:

  1. If you have the necessary time and space in your life for a hobby then I’d recommend building wooden slope soarers as very rewarding pastime. The intellectual and emotional investment required in a self-build project results in a model that you’ll want to maintain, develop and fly for many years to come. My friend from Dorking, with whom I flew at Ashdown Forest yesterday, brought models he’d built 40+ years ago and he still uses the original RC gear too!
    My latest vintage glider project (Omega plan circa 1972) has been in gestation for over nine months and is finally nearing completion, but with professional and domestic time pressures and a large collection of complete flyable models I may need to decelerate my building output this side of retirement. With an eye to the future I have collected a significant resource of glider plans from the internet and elsewhere which will easily last me from retirement to infirmity (I expect I’ll still be perusing them long after my knuckles have seized up).
    Those ‘short kit’ designs on Ebay offer an excellent value-for-money route to a tried-and-trusted soarer provided you have a stock of sheet balsa etc. to hand or easy access to a traditional model shop, otherwise a shopping list and a separate order to on-line suppliers will be required.
    Complete kits from West Wings are (in my experience) well engineered and a pleasure to build, however their choice of lightweight materials often results in a flimsy model, so it pays to ‘beef-up’ the structure as you build with harder/thicker balsa or fibreglass. Phoenix Model Products offer a choice of wooden slope soarer kits which build into more rugged models, although construction techniques are unusual and may require a call to Stan Yeo (the designer) for clarification. I’m still flying Sig gliders which I enjoyed building years ago likewise kits from Dynaflite.
    The Ridge Runt is a good quick-build subject for those new to the building board, although SLEC have updated the design with the ‘Coyote’ which sensibly uses three micro servos for elevator and ailerons. The model’s only weakness is the vac-formed canopy which will soon crack and need a more practical carved balsa replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was very interesting for someone who's never built any balsa rc models. I should really finish my wildthing kit, if I can't do that there's no hope for me with balsa!

      Marc

      Delete
  2. Hi Paul, As you know I've built quite a few models in my time, some from kit and some from plans. Of those you recommend the Limit X is the best of them in my view. I flew one and it's fast and will manoeuvre well. At the moment I'm working on that large Graupner Weihe you gave me - not long before I finish it, then I am up for building a Limit X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rob. I agree with you about the Limit EX. Just ordered one off eBay as they are on special offer for just another few days. Not bad for just £17.10 delivered. If anyone else orders one, please ley us know and maybe we can share the cost for the balsa needed to finish the model?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A 22" span slope soarer doesn't sound practical. However it's worth a £17 punt, so I'm in. There is a nice write-up by the designer here: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article/limit-ex/4687

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great three of us (so far) doing the build. Hopefully we can get to fly them all together at some point. Better start a new page just on the Limit EX Build.

      Delete