Tuesday 3 October 2017

My next challenge - Highside Sports Glider

After all the fun and games trying to build the Limit Mk3, I have decided to give plan building another go. I have purchased a plan of a Highside glider plan from eBay and the short kit and balsa pack from SLEC http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/Highside-Glider-CNC-Pack-PRC001.html
The Highside is a 3 channel sports glider with a 1397mm span (55'') and designed by Lindsay Todd here in the UK. The plan originally came free with the RCM & E in November 2016.
I'm not in any rush to complete this build and especially as I'm going to build it at my work where I have decent lighting and a good solid workbench to work off. I wanted a new building board and looked around on the internet to find an alternative to the £30 balsa building board I had borrowed from Tim to build the Limit Mk3. There were lots of recommendations for using plaster board. This being flat and easy to pin to. B & Q had just what I wanted for £4 (a sheet of board 1200mm W x 600mm deep x 12.5mm thick - http://www.diy.com/departments/gyproc-handiboard-square-edge-plasterboard-l1220mm-w600mm-t125mm/128389_BQ.prd
Here we are set up with the 'protect-a-plan' plastic cover from the Balsa Cabin to protect the plan - https://balsacabin.co.uk/product/protect-a-plan/

6 comments:

  1. I use plasterboard over a mdf board then just use clingfilm over the top of the plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used cling film on the last model I just made but found that my white glue actually stuck itself to the cling film and as you tried to pick up what you glued it would tear the cling film. Got fed up with it after a while, that’s why I chose the thicker plan covering from the Balsa Cabin but to be honest any thicker polythene sheet would do I suspect.

      Delete
  2. Great looking model Paul, I know that you'll probably enjoy building this one after our frustrating Limit Mk3 builds, this should be relatively easy for the sake of the size of it at least....I don't know the model but it looks a lovely traditional build...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like the balsa bashing bug has finally bitten you Paul. I like the trendy design/traditional build combination, it's a bit like the Quark from Island Models.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear friends. Can you help me where can I found a copy of Highside sloper to build. I've lost 2016 nov RCM&E..
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got mine off eBay. There are sellers on their for back copies of the RCM & E.

    ReplyDelete