Sunday 22 October 2017

Turbulent Day

I was a little late getting up on the hill and when I arrived Ian and Mark were already up on the hill.  Ian had his Eurphoria and Jart and Mark had his Vector and another Mouldie.  I took my Dragon and “comfort blanket” aka the Wildthing.  For the record I was late as I doing some repairs on a Middle Phase which I acquired although I took the Wildthing in favour of the Middle Phase as I ran out of time doing the repairs!

We were joined a little later by Russell with various models, one of our newest members Marc with his Wildthing and another flier with a mouldie.

When we started flying there was excellent lift however it was a little bumpy and we were all encountered the twitching of wings when we flew through the turbulence.  As the morning progressed the turbulence became worse and towards the end of the session flying became extremely tricky and was almost too much for Marc and my Wildthings to cope with. 

Ian knew it was going to be a bad day when I asked him for assistance with the Dragon! It got worse when he looked round to prepare for a landing with his Jart and realised that all of the cows had congregated on the best landing spot at the top of the hill forcing him to make a landing to the side of where we were flying.  The final straw was when he decided to fly the Euphoria in the worst of the turbulence and Euphoria hit some particularly bad turbulence which was too much for the wing and broke the aileron section of one wing.  Ian managed to limp the Euphoria around for a landing but the damage was too bad and the heavy landing snapped the fuselage.


Here’s a video that I took of Ian landing the Jart, just to give you a reminder of the great flying and great weather you are missing out on Paul! (if you squint you can just about see the plane).

Scotty




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the write-up Scotty. I had no idea from Russell's report that it was Ian who had the plane failure - what a shame !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a while before noticed that the same model is shown in our current banner picture. Doh!

      Delete