Sunday 14 January 2018

Mini Vec Rebuild

Hi All,
As you might have read, a few weeks ago I landed the Mini Vec too hard (crashed) and broke the fuselage. On further inspection, the snakes for the rudder and elevator had also broken meaning I had to get a new fuselage (which has the snakes pre-installed).
While waiting for the fuselage to arrive I stripped the old fuselage of all its parts and managed to save everything except the pushrod ends (clevises and couplers) because they're glued to carbon rods.
I also couldn't get the servo tray out without breaking it, but I used it as a template for a new one which still needs to be fitted and shaped .....
I bought new couplers and clevises and spent ages getting the old epoxy off the ballast tube so that I could reuse it
I then had to make a new (still rough) rudder horn because the old one is stuck with 1/2 a pound of epoxy !!
Then I tried to get the nose weight out of the old fuselage but as it's made from lead shot fixed with epoxy I realised I would never get it out -
So I found a local gun shop who let me have 110 g of old lead shot for nothing - I can use this in the new fuselage 
Finally, I cleaned and checked all the wiring loom and servos in the fuselage and they're now ready to put back together ..... 
Hopefully I can get time soon to put it all back how it was ! Then I have to work out how to wire it to the receiver !!! Might need Tim H to help me

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment